Thursday, December 6, 2012

To the beauty of Baguio!



Photo credits to pinoylakwatsero.com
The first reason why Baguio is one of the memorable places I've been is that I keep on misspelling it. Sorry. But I’ll admit, misspelling the place is a great insult to its wonderful beauty.
                From main city Manila, you have to endure back aching bus ride to reach the place. I don’t know if there is a plane you could ride to Baguio so we took the bus. However, the long hours of sitting lets you peek through the other places in the track. The least that I remembered passing by is Tarlac.
                When we finally arrived, we went to its SM mall. I can remember people passing by with scarves and thick jackets. I feel like I’m in Korea, strange for a tropical country. Then I thought that the temperature in Baguio is way colder because it’s a top mountain place. So I felt the weather seething in me. My family took tour flyers just along the streets. People were asking if we would like a ride to this place and that. I got excited! The folks there told us that there are certain months when the weather gets coldest, and fogging the place at sunlight. I also heard that people living there have hot showers. That was summer then but I could still play with my viewable cold breath. It’s fun for a person who never experienced winter. Furthermore, I was stunned by the houses built on the hillsides. Literally people dug the side of the hills and built houses there. I felt fear for them during storms; a good landslide could easily cover their houses.
                First, we enjoyed the Burnham Park. Tourists were everywhere taking pictures of the place and of themselves. Of course, we were not exceptions. We were boating in the center lake of the park. It was fun splashing our way to the center. Then I catch something at the corner of my eye, horses! People were riding horses with different hair colors, so colorful!
                There were also Ifugaos or other “Katutubo” making a living by letting the tourist take pictures with them. With the Ifugaos were seedless grapes vendors. The price per kilo was way cheaper than in the stores plus the grape size was self-satisfying. Moreover, we went to a place where there were gigantic man-made statues. Well, I estimate it as 10 ft tall. It appeared like occultists statues. Roaming around, we bumped in to the ride with fee prepped horses. The horses had these colored hair and shiny mats on their backs. My sister rode on one. We also went to Baguio Botanical Garden where there were lots of kinds of flowers and other exotic plants. We made sure that we take a picture of the big sunflowers and orchids.
                Moving on, we went to this wide strawberry garden. It was mouth watering seeing all those strawberries fresh from their stems. Each one of us was given baskets to harvest it for our own purchase. The place was also flooded with strawberry jams vendors and we got hold of the delicacy pretty plenty.
                Hmmm… It was a good family trip. You don’t only get to spend quality time with each other but also discover a beautiful place with rich culture. Tourist from all over the Philippines and even foreigners go there to wind out their stress. I guess there’s more to life than stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment